<span class="highlight">Best</span> <span class="highlight">time</span> <span class="highlight">to</span> see Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 13, 2009 at 22:45
ThreadID: 72985 Views:2211 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, we are planning a trip up the Cape in 2011 and would like to try and avoid school hols/ long weekends, in a nut shell, when it's not overcrowded, but obviously not in the height of the Wet. Any tips and must see's appreciated. Cheers Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2009 at 23:08

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2009 at 23:08
We left Cairns on the 1st June this year and spent 4 weeks on the cape. As we headed south the school hols traffic was heading up. On the way up was usually only 5-6 other vehicles in each camp site, on the way down most were fairly full. Road was in perfect condition going up as well. There was a bit of water in the creeks but most were ok. Temp was perfect and the fishing even better. We camped at punsand bay which is a great spot to camp near the tip.
Stop at the croc tent on your way up as he has everything you need to know/see on the cape'

Josh
AnswerID: 386958

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 00:53

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 00:53
Thanks for the tips, Cheers Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 654557

Reply By: Nath'n'Lynz - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:02

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:02
Hi there, were headed up there next year too. Planning around late September. If you search "Capeyork" in the threads you will find plenty of advice as i've been doing the same for the past few months.
Also check out this link that one of the nice EO bloggers posted on my thread.
It has so much info and some awesome pics.
Lynz

http://www.ivanlea.net/photos/CapeYork/default.htm
AnswerID: 386964

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:24

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:24
Thanks very much for info, I will check out those threads tonight. Cheers, Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 654579

Reply By: Member - Tonyb (FNQ) - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 17:01

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 17:01
It will all depend on what happens with the wet that year as to when you will be allowed to drive on the PDR.

Some years it can stay closed for quite a while depending if there is Cyclone damage. Many people ignore the road closed signs and pretend they are 5ton Local Traffic only :-)

The earlier the better is what I would recommend, still plenty of water around and the years first grades are usually underway. Side trips like Iron Range can take even longer to open.

Its at its best when it is wet! You will have to monitor the Cairns Main Roads Web site to get the latest update on that road...or mm me early 2011 and I will pass on the info as I will be trying to get up there as soon as I can for the Barra.

Cheers
AnswerID: 387053

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 21:41

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 at 21:41
Hi Tonyb, thanks for your reply, I will keep all the info from this thread and may be in touch in the early part of 2011 we are a bit alfresco with which way we will do our trip, go straight through the middle to FNQ and come back across the top, or go up the coast then across the top and come back through the middle, I am leaning quite heavily on the first option at the moment for the reasons you said, thanks again. Kanga1.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 654655

Sponsored Links